Match Reports


All Square With Killeavey

posted 4 Aug 2013, 16:12 by Unknown user

Sarsfields 1-11 Killeavey 1-11
Sarsfields edged ahead with a couple of early points, the first from Paul McGeown followed by a Johnny Reynolds free. Having the better of the midfield exchanges Killeavey pulled level and then pushed ahead with a thirteenth minute goal. Paul McGaughey pulled a point back and a Paul McGeown free closed the gap to a point. As half time loomed the sides exchanged points, the Highmoss score coming from Eamon McGeown. Sarsfields knew though that they would have to up their game, given that Killeavey could have been further ahead had they taken all their chances. 

Early on in the second half, it was a very close affair. Johnny Reynolds hit over a free and Thomas McAlinden knocked over a point from play. The breakthrough from a Sarsfields perspective came when Thomas McAlinden snatched a goal in a goalmouth scramble. A Colin Stevenson point made it a three point lead for the Highmoss. Killeavey hit back with a brace of points, but scores from Eamon McGeown, Johnny Reynolds and Colin Stevenson pushed Sarsfields into a four point lead. Sarsfields had this lead as the final whistle approached. However in the final five minutes of play Killeavey showed good character to hit four points without reply, the equalising score coming in the fourth minute of injury time.

Championship Success For Young Highmoss Ladies

posted 4 Aug 2013, 15:48 by Unknown user

Sarsfields 4-11 Tir na nÓg 4-01

Sarsfields Outclassed by Crossmaglen

posted 28 Jul 2013, 12:42 by Unknown user

Sarsfields 0-07 Crossmaglen 3-12

Sarsfields began well with a Thomas McAlinden point after he came out well in front of his man and hit a nice score. Sarsfields continued to play reasonably well but sent a couple wide before Crossmaglen hit their first point. Crossmaglen were coming into the game and might have added to their tally but for a great clearance from Paul Magee. Eamon McGeown sent over a good point from distance to edge Sarsfields back in front, but it was the last time they would see the lead in the match. At this stage Stephen Kernan received a straight red at one might have thought this was good for Sarsfields, but in the next fifteen minutes Crosmaglen hit 1-03 without reply and also hit the post. For the goal Darran made a superb save only to see the ball cross the path of a waiting forward for a handy chance. Sarsfields had a few chances go wide and Eimeid Murray was denied by Paul Hearty. He palmed the rebound narrowly missing a second opportunity to hit the net. In addition was denied a penalty shout, deemed to be outside the square and Johnny Reynolds pulled a point back from the free, but Sarsfields were behind by four at the break having dropped another couple of efforts short. 

In the second half Crossmaglen hit seven points without reply and by this time it was game over for Sarsfields. To be fair the Highmoss heads didn’t drop. There were had another couple of goal chances and several efforts for points went wide. Darren Breen stopped the rot with a point, Johnny Reynolds added a free and Colin Stevenson knocked over a point. However, Crossmaglen responded with a further two goals to demonstrate their superiority. Late in the game Thomas McAlinden collected a great ball in behind the visitors defence but was denied by a superb Paul Hearty save. Sarsfields could have kept it tighter but were left in no doubt as to who was the better team.

Winning Run Ended in Dromintee

posted 21 Jul 2013, 14:23 by Unknown user

Dromintee 2-14 Sarsfields 0-11
Hopes were high that Sarsfields would continue the good run of form they had before the holiday break, but Dromintee ended the good run. Being in the holiday period Sarsfields had travelled without a few regular players. 
Johnny Reynolds hit the first point for Sarsfields, but it was Dromintee who were to dominate the first half. Sarsfields pushed forward a few times but failed to really threaten. In defence Peter Stevenson and Paul Magee in particular did some great work in and around the square. However an early goal gave the home side some confidence and they hit 1-07 without reply with Sarsfields very much on the back foot. Darren Breen hit a point after good play from Mark Reynolds and Eamon McGeown and certainly there seemed to be some potential for a goal. The home side hit back with a couple of points before Niall Kerr ended the half with a Highmoss point. 
Despite beginning nine points down, Sarsfields showed great resolve in the second half. Eamon McGeown got things going with a decent point, Richie Stevenson hit a free and Johnny Reynolds tapped over a nice left footed shot. With Sarsfields playing the better football Eimeid Murray hit over two points in succession and when Thomas McAlinden kicked over a point the deficit was down to three points. It was at this stage where Sarsfields looked as if they might kick on for the win. However a couple of chances to close the gap went a begging. Dromintee hit back with a twentieth minute point their first of the half. Sarsfields hit back almost immediately with a point from Declan Breen, but it was Dromintee who were to close out the game. They knocked over three points and an injury time penalty gave the scoreline a decent look from a Dromintee perspective, but they had certainly been the better team. Sarsfields though had given it their best shot in the second half.

Highmoss Dig Deep to Extend Winning Run

posted 24 Jun 2013, 15:16 by Unknown user

Sarsfields 4-10 Carrickcruppen 2-06
Sarsfields were keen to keep their winning run going and early on they were in control. Using the wind advantage Paul and Eamon McGeown knocked over points from play and Richie Stevenson pointed a free to put the Highmoss three up. Carrickcruppen’s first point, a handy chance came from a Sarsfields defensive error when they looked to have taken possession. Paul McGaughey sent over a great point, but Sarsfields were wasting chances by taking on long range shots, but the wind assistance wasn’t compensating for poor shooting. This was brought home when a Cruppen goal against the run of play left the home side with nothing to show for their dominance. The goal came from a speculative long ball and the Cruppen forward did enough to knock the ball past the Highmoss keeper who looked to be favourite to collect the ball. The teams exchanged a couple of points, with Paul McGaughey scoring from play and Richie Stevenson scoring from the dead ball. Sarsfields had a goal chance when Paul McGeown fisted a ball just wide of the post, but it was clear he was giving his marker a hard time. As half time approached, Cruppen edged ahead for the first time in the match. They added to this advantage with a goal a moment later and a further point made it 1-03 in four minutes. Sarsfields were very much on the back foot, having led by three and now being behind by five. To make matters worse Sarsfields were going to have to play the second half into the wind. In injury time a superb goal from Paul McGeown gave Sarsfields some hope. There had been good work from Eamon McGeown in carrying the ball forward and Richie Stevenson had delivered the pass to Paul, but it took a great shot to find the corner of the net from the acute angle. There was no doubt that there was a lot of work to be done in the second half. 

Sarsfields pulled a point back through Paul McGaughey and moments later Paul McGeown escaped the close eye of his marker to win possession on the end line and hit his second goal of the match, again from a very acute angle. Sarsfields now led by two and what was very visible was that their work rate had increased considerably. Cruppen were finding all avenues forward blocked and were being dispossessed and forced backwards. Declan Breen was unlucky to see a shot on goal blaze wide after Eimeíd Murray had knocked a ball down to him. Cruppen had a couple of wides and were denied a goal by a great save from Darran McAvoy. Having frustrated the Cruppen attack Sarsfields pushed forward and when Richie Stevenson was fouled in the square Paul McGeown stepped up to beat the visiting keeper for the third time. Increasing in confidence Sarsfields kept the pressure on the visitors. Thomas McAlinden who had just come on was rewarded for following in on a ball on top of the keeper. When the keeper failed to keep possession Tommy side footed the ball to the Cruppen net. Tommy added a further two points to make it a very successful return to the senior side for him. Eamon McGeown hit over the final Highmoss point and it had been well deserved given his work rate. Carrickcruppen knocked over and injury time point, their only score of the second half.

Rare Win in Cullyhanna

posted 24 Jun 2013, 15:07 by Unknown user

St. Patrick’s Cullyhanna 1-09 Sarsfields 1-11
The long trip to Cullyhanna is often unrewarding and on a particularly wet and windy evening it would be easy not to pull out to support your team. However the Highmoss team have been pulling off results and certainly they expected to go to South Armagh and get something from the game. 
Sarsfields began into a very strong wind and their task was immediately apparent when the home side hit a point within seconds. Sarsfields struggled with their attacks and found Cullyhanna coming straight back at them in waves. The home side could have had an early goal and when they hit their second point they could have been further ahead. Paul McGeown kept Sarsfields with a couple of points, one from play and the other a free. Using the breeze Cullyhanna added on scores, though hard work from Sarsfields restricted their scoring options. This coupled with the poor conditions meant that the home side was held scoreless for over twenty minutes. Aidan Haughian levelled matters with a well taken goal after he was quickest to react when the ball went loose in the square. Richie Stevenson edged the Highmoss ahead for the first time in the match a moment later and it has to be said that you wouldn’t have expected to see Sarsfields ahead playing against the wind. Cullyhanna levelled the score just before the break, but would have been disappointed not to be ahead at half time. 
Early points from Paul McGaughey and Richie Stevenson edged the Highmoss ahead early in the second half. Cullyhanna pulled a point back but Sarsfields playing the better football pulled further ahead with points from Eamon McGeown and Richie Stevenson and two points from Paul McGeown. Aidan Haughian had a chance for a second goal but was denied by the St. Patrick’s keeper. Leading by five it was looking good for Sarsfields, but the optimism was reduced when the home side got a goal against the run of play. Cullyhanna then added a point to leave just two between the sides. Sarsfields though showed great resilience and a vital point from Eamon McGeown gave the Highmoss that important three point cushion. Sarsfields continued to disrupt Cullyhanna possession and to hold the ball, giving the home side little chance to come back at them. Cullyhanna pulled a point back but Sarsfields came away with a rare victory and possibly their best win of the season at this South Armagh venue.

Highmoss End Harps Unbeaten Run

posted 10 Jun 2013, 15:53 by Unknown user

Sarsfields 2-13 Armagh Harps 1-10
It was a great evening for football, but Sarsfields had the difficult task of taking some points of an Armagh Harps team that had been unbeaten in the senior league this season. Harps had the most of the early play and hit over two quick points. A Paul McGeown free got the Highmoss off the mark, but Harps seemed to be able to respond easily enough and hit back instantly with a point. It took Darran McAvoy’s best efforts to deny the Harps a goal and he followed up the save with a great clearance. Sarsfields came into the game and Johnny Reynolds followed up a well worked point; the move beginning with a quick long ball from Paul McGeown. Michael Stevenson added a point and this stemmed from good combined forward work involving Paul McGeown and Richie Stevenson. Sarsfields continued to have the upper hand, but three wides in a row spurned the chance to take the lead. Harps took advantage of this wastefulness and edged ahead after being given a needless free. Sarsfields though continued to win good possession and Michael Stevenson finished off a good move with a great left footed strike to the net. Harps hit back with a point. But it was Sarsfields who were on top and four unanswered points from Michael Stevenson, Paul McGaughey, Paul McGeown and Johnny Reynolds put Sarsfields five ahead at the break. The final point from Johnny illustrated the Highmoss work rate, coming from an excellent tackle in midfield. In addition Paul McGeown was unlucky to be denied a goal chance. Great defensive work also denied the Harps scoring chances. Peter Stevenson made a super goal line diving save and Paul Magee made a great clearance at full back to end the half.
Michael Stevenson scored 1-04Sarsfields had a great start to the second half with Richie Stevenson hitting a point and Paul McGeown putting the ball to the Harps net. The goal came from a great run from Michael Stevenson who passed to his brother Richie. Richie had a chance of a goal himself but unselfishly passed the ball across the goal for the incoming Paul McGeown to easily palm the ball past the Harps keeper. Harps replied with a point but the opportunity had only come about from a bad Sarsfields pass. Michael Stevenson tagged on two points to put the Highmoss ten up and in complete control. This was coming from almost every ball being won at midfield either from primary possession or from breaking ball. As may have been expected Harps came back at Sarsfields. They hit over two points, but good work for the Sarsfields players meant Harps were having great difficulty in carrying the ball out. In particular the Highmoss forwards were putting great pressure on the Harps defenders when they were in possession. It ensured that Harps were running out of time with the expected comeback. A poor pass from the Sarsfields defence let the Harps in for a goal and a couple of minutes later two frees had the deficit reduced to four points. A forty-five that could have pulled it back to a single score was sent wide. Sarsfields re-grouped, Paul McGeown pointed a free and Richie Stevenson hit a point to ensure there would be no way back for the Harps.

Valiant U21's Lose

posted 2 Jun 2013, 15:11 by Unknown user

Sarsfields 4-05 Carrickcruppen 4-10
Despite being up against what seemed to be an older and stronger looking Cruppen side, Sarsfields gave a very good account of themselves in this game. 

Sarsfields hit two early points through Paul McGeown and Ryan McAlinden, though Ryan may have been disappointed to see his shot rise over the bar. Creating chances Sarsfields had a second goal chance go wide only to see Cruppen hit the first goal of the game. Sarsfields responded well and with Paul McGeown dominating in the forward line pushed ahead in the game. Paul hit a goal and set up Darren McShane for a goal after great work from Conan McAlinden. Cruppen though fought back and hit Sarsfields with a goal to level things at half time. 
Cruppen pushed ahead early in the second half and 1-03 without reply put them in a great position. However a goal and a point from Paul McGeown brought Sarsfields right back into the match. Any optimism though was short lived as the visitors hit back with a goal. Ryan McAlinden pulled a goal back for Sarsfields rising to palm a long high ball to the net. Cruppen seeing Paul McGeown as the danger man pulled men back to deny him further scoring chances. Whilst this worked, Paul was able to get a few more shots at the target despite the close attention. In addition a few high balls in resulted in goal chances. Cruppen though added a couple more points to put the game beyond Sarsfields. It had been a valiant performance from Sarsfields even though they had just fallen short.

Experience Prevails for Sarsfields

posted 2 Jun 2013, 14:23 by Unknown user

St. Peter’s 0-09 Sarsfields 2-09
In the early stages of this match things weren’t looking too good for Sarsfields. As might have been expected St. Peter’s saw this match as a possible first win of the season and they came out with all guns blazing. Sarsfields sent a couple of chances wide, but the livelier Peters side hit over a couple of early points and were beginning to dominate in terms of possession. Sarsfields hit a further couple of chances wide and had a ‘point’ cancelled out by the referee after the umpires disagreed over the score. The home side sent over a free and things were looking poor enough for the nervous looking Highmoss side. The Hoops followed this with a further wide from a forty-five and a handy chance was dropped into the keeper’s hands to further reduce the team’s confidence. Sarsfields fortunes turned on a great piece of play from Paul McGeown and he had the presence of mind after a run to send the ball across the goal for Paul McGaughey to palm the ball to the net. Chris McGaughey quickly added a point and in the space of a minute St. Peter’s had gone behind after being in control. Chris had a great chance to add a goal to his tally but saw the chance go wide of the post. Gaining confidence Sarsfields piled the pressure on the Peter’s and two Paul McGeown frees edged them three ahead. In an attempt to gain primary possession St. Peter’s tried a short kick-out, but directed it to a grateful Chris McGaughey who carried the ball in, passed to Michael Stevenson who blasted the ball to the net with a super shot. To compound the misery for the Freecrow men they had a goal chance disallowed after the forward was deemed to have pushed Mark Reynolds in the back. To be fair the referee seemed certain of the foul, but had a Sarsfields man had a similar goal disallowed, undoubtedly the Highmoss contingent wouldn’t have been happy. Paul McGaughey added a point to give the Highmoss a seven point half time lead. Crucially Sarsfields after a slow start had hit 2-04 without reply. 

St. Peter’s began the second half, much as they had done in the first half. The hit over a couple of quick points, hit a couple of chances wide and had a goal chance, but Darren Breen cleared the danger. Eamon McGeown responded with a great point from outside the ‘45’. However the home side hit back and four points without reply made it a two point game and it looked like Sarsfields were going to throw away their lead. Certainly the Highmoss seemed to have lost their direction and several good attacks were wasted, including a great goal chance for Michael Stevenson who possibly carried the ball too close to the Peter’s keeper who smothered the shot superbly. It is often said that goals change games, but as this match entered the last five minutes it was a Johnny Reynolds point that stemmed the tide and turned things in Sarsfields’ favour. It brought the lead back to three points and inspired the team. Chris McGaughey quickly added the insurance point and Mark and Johnny Reynolds added points to make the game totally safe. Had the game gone on the more experienced Highmoss team would almost certainly increased their lead over a deflated St. Peter’s side.

Sarsfields Outclassed in Maghery

posted 6 May 2013, 13:07 by Unknown user

Maghery 3-10 Sarsfields 1-10
Sarsfields were quick off the mark and Richie Stevenson had a handy tap over within seconds of the throw in. For a second, it looked like he was in for the goal, but the Maghery defence were quick to shut off that option. Eamon McGeown sent over a point and Richie Stevenson’s second point after good defensive work from Paul Magee, made it three points in as many minutes for the Highmoss. Maghery hit back with a pointed free and then hit a goal that really had left the Sarsfields defence exposed. Michael Stevenson replied with a 45’, but Maghery edged back in front with a point. Mark Reynolds levelled matters mid-way through the half. The point had been hard won due to good defensive work from Maghery, though Sarsfields had shown composure in working the score. Sarsfields, playing reasonably well had a few chances, with Johnny Reynolds hitting the crossbar with a shot that would have been a certain goal if it had been a few millimetres lower. Maghery though hit three points without reply to lead by three and the scores had come from Sarsfields losing possession going forward. Eamon McGeown saw an effort come of the top of the crossbar and out eventually going out for a 45’. Michael Stevenson hit over an injury time free to reduce the deficit to two points, but it had been the first Highmoss score in over fifteen minutes. 

On the restart Michael Stevenson hit a point under pressure to put the minimum between the sides and the supporters had reason for optimism. However in the next period Maghery took control. In the next five minutes Maghery hit 1-04 without reply to go nine points in front and really there was no way back for Sarsfields. Chris McGaughey stopped the rot with a point from his first touch after coming on as a substitute. Any chance of a revival was snuffed out by Maghery’s third goal. To their credit Sarsfields fought to the end. A couple of Richie Stevenson frees left it that the three goals were the difference. In the final minute Eamon McGeown fisted a speculative chance to the net. Sarsfields had a further goal chance but couldn't close the gap. Had the goal brought three points between the sides it may have been a frantic finish. As it was Sarsfields had simply been outplayed by a decent Maghery side.

1-10 of 70