Match Reports‎ > ‎

Cruppen Resist Sarsfields Comeback

posted 10 Jun 2012, 16:10 by Unknown user   [ updated 3 Jul 2012, 00:44 ]

Carrickcruppen 3-07 Sarsfields 2-07

This match was played on a wet and windy night and Sarsfields began into a strong wind. It was immediately apparent that Cruppen would be using the wind to drop balls on top of their tall full forwards. Cruppen went four up early on, the conditions helping them out on each occasion. Two of these points came from frees after Highmoss defenders were deemed to have picked the ball of the ground and the other two came from the ball being dropped in from midfield. Sarsfields first score came from a Richie Stevenson free after ten minutes and this sparked a spell in which they had more possession. However several attacks broke down and Cruppen assisted by the wind were able to counter at speed. Cruppen were denied a goal when Declan Breen somehow managed to clear the ball off the line when Darran McAvoy had been beaten. Sarsfields though continued to miss chances; a couple of which were possible goal chances and give away possession in attack. Sarsfields were then punished by two Carrickcruppen goals. The first was fortunate enough when a high ball into the square hit the deck and was toe poked to the net. The second though was a good individual well taken effort, though the Cruppen forward took good advantage of the lack of tackling as he ran straight at the Highmoss defence. A further point put the home side nine points clear before Richie Stevenson pulled a point back with his second free. The first half ended with Sarsfields only having two frees to show for their efforts.

Richie Stevenson quickly pulled a couple of points back and the first chance was a possible goal chance after Paul Magee dropped a good ball in on Richie. Cruppen hit back with a point, but Sarsfields having good possession saw a few efforts to drop the ball in carry wide on the wind. Eamon McGeown hit a good point from distance but again Cruppen cancelled out the point, showing they could play better against the wind than Sarsfields had done. Sarsfields then hit their best spell of the game. Eamon McGeown scored a penalty after he had made a great catch in the square and was taken down. Richie Stevenson hit over a free and Paul McGaughey was unlucky to catch a ball on the end line only to have it called wide. Eamon McGeown then hit a great goal to pull Sarsfields back to within a point of Cruppen and at this stage Sarsfields with five minutes to go, would have been favourites to go on and win the match. The home side showed great spirit and won a couple of vital kickouts, just when Sarsfields urgently needed the next score. They caught Sarsfields out in their efforts to push forward and netted a third goal to put them four up. Richie Stevenson pulled a point back and Sarsfields continued to push forward. The team might have expected three or four minutes of injury time, but the final whistle sounded seconds after the thirty minutes were up. There wasn’t any dispute though over who the better team had been on the night.