Match Reports‎ > ‎

Disappointment at Ballymacnab

posted 26 Jul 2011, 14:01 by Sarsfields PRO   [ updated 29 Jul 2011, 01:36 ]
Ballymacnab 1-15 Sarsfields 1-14

Thomas McAlinden and Richie and Michael Stevenson returned to the starting line up, having come in for Brian Lavery, Brian Kerr and Stefan Green.

The home side hit a point directly from the throw in and Sarsfields took a few minutes to settle into the match, missing a handy chance of a point. Michael Stevenson scored a good point despite being put under good pressure by two defenders and this was quickly followed by a well taken point by Eamon McGeown. Eamon had made a good catch in midfield and set up Paul McGaughey. Eamon with good support play took the return when Paul came under pressure and sent the ball over the bar. With both sides playing attacking football it was end to end stuff and it was nip and tuck for the remainder of the half. Sarsfields edge a couple ahead again through good work from Michael Stevenson and Eamon McGeown. Ballymacnab pulled a point back when a long range high ball bounced in the square and went over the bar. It was one of those shots that the Highmoss keeper thought about attacking but he may well have knocked it down to an incoming forward. Paul Magee made it a two point game when he found himself going forward in acres of space. The home side had the better of the exchanges as half time approached outscoring the Highmoss four points to two, the Highmoss scores coming from two frees from Richie and Michael Stevenson. Eamon McGeown had a handy chance to level matters but his effort went wide of the target. Ballymacnab led by a point at the break in a match that really was too close to call if you were thinking of placing a bet.

Ballymacnab pushed ahead early in the second half hitting three points without reply. However Sarsfields were soon back on level terms after a penalty into the top corner from Richie Stevenson and a point from Paul McGaughey. The penalty was fully deserved as Thomas McAlinden was pulled back when the goal was on. Paul McGaughey’s point was a goal chance, but good defensive work prevented the clean shot. The home side responded with a goal, and from a Highmoss perspective it was fortunate enough. The full forward came across a driving shot and whilst he probably didn’t touch the ball, he did enough to unsight and put off the Highmoss keeper. They now led by five and Sarsfields had a game on their hands. Sarsfields replied with three points on the trot, through two Richie Stevenson frees and a Mark Reynolds point from a very tight angle. Certainly Richie was through on goal but was cynically pulled back, the free being scant reward for his attack. The home side added two points to go three up with five minutes remaining and their advantage was coming from midfield dominance. It was the visitors though that dominated the midfield exchanges in the final period, with Eamon McGeown and Paul McGaughey pulling of some great catches. Eamon set Johnny Reynolds up with a great chance in on goal but the chance was sent wide, though he redeemed himself by setting Michael Stevenson up for a point. Sarsfields had a few opportunities to level the game, the final opportunity being a forty-five with the last kick of the ball which went wide. It was a disappointing result from what was a decent performance.